PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Spicejet
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2008, 05:53
Nevrekar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Spicejet

I have been getting a few queries regarding happenings at Spicejet. While I can honestly say that I am not necessarily in the "know" I am posting my personal observations for those who have asked. I had posted earlier for ATA and ALOHA guys. I can't be sure how many made it here as I have not heard from any ATA/ALOHA folks since their arrival here.

1. Cadet program is no more. No slots for anyone.

2. New type rated F/O's also laid off recently(I believe 14-15).

3. 4 Indian Capts left in the last 12 months for "greener pastures." Only time will tell if they made the right decision.

4. No new expat hiring at the moment. A few new Indian Capts in training.

5. Possibility of additional F/O's being furloughed if fleet size stays at 15.

6. I'm told some expats asked to extend their leave. As Spicejet leave is unpaid, it saves the company money. Not sure if/when these lads will return.
Some perhaps have decided to go elsewhere while others might adapt a wait and see approach depending on their individual situation. At any given time there are probably 20-30 Captains on leave.

7. WL Ross investment seems to be firm and holding (USD 80-100M). That should tide us over until the new year I expect. Load factors recently have been dismal (not just us). Flights have been cancelled due to "lack of interest." Flying for Capts has dropped from 100 + a month to less than 75.
Some expats are unhappy about this as they were counting on overtime.
Personally I am quite happy with 75-80 hrs/month. It gives me the time I need to balance work and family life here in India. You may recall my gripe earlier was not getting the days off I needed per the contract. Looks like for now the pendulum has swung the other way.

8. CEO left for Indigo. No new appointment as yet. Captain Jack Ekl is still CP and Captain Jatti Dhillon is the VP/Flt Ops.

9. Spicejet remains a friendly, warm and professional place to work despite all the talk of financial gloom and doom. Paychecks to date have been early as always.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.