PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shenzhen Airlines
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2008, 01:04
clrblu22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shenznen Airlines

I agree with the previous posts. China is not a bad place to be if you must be away from home. This place, like anywhere else, takes some time to get use to.

If you are planning on taking a family to China there are some things to consider:

We are in a 4 bedroom apartment and pay $2000.00/month (not including utilities). There are places that are cheaper though and there is room for negotiation on the price; just depends on what you can put up with for the next 2-3 years. My apartment is furnished and is higher with a view. Lower apartments are cheaper ($1200/mo).

Shenzhen's housing allowance is only 8000RMB. Jade Cargo pilots get 15,000 RMB?? The average cost of an apartment here is about $2000/mo. for something that you'd like to live in for the next 3 years. Hopefully they will change that soon.

Private international mediacal insurance is EXPENSIVE!!! The airlines do not pay for this (they should). There is a clinic here called SOS (in Shekou) that has US, Braz. and other international Doctors. The cost is about $4500.00+/year for your family and ONLY covers you on the mainland at the SOS clininc (nothing international)...if you wind up breaking your arm and going to the Hospital (SOS clinic is not a hospital), you will pick up the tab. Now saying this, I would never take my family to the Chinese hospitals on the mainland (other than the one in Beijing) unless it was an absolute emergency. Even then, you'd probably be transferred to the hospital in Hong Kong if it was serious. If you dont have international insurance....you pick up the tab on that as well.

I think that I should also mention that the hospitals here are 30 years behind the USA in everything they do. They are moldy, crowded and if you do not have someone that speaks Chinese with you when you go, good luck!

It's an absolute necessity, if your family is here, to have proper medical coverage and the peace of mind that comes with a good plan. Having additional coverage in the USA is more expensive. I've tried to paste a chart here but for some reason it will not let me. The average cost (not including medical coverage in N-America, family of 4-5) is about $10,000US/year.

Daycare for your children is a problem because it is expensive so you must hire a nanny or take your children to the international schools here if you and your wife plan on spending any time together, alone. Additionally, Shenzhen Airlines does NOT pay for any schools.

$4500/year for SOS Clinic
$10,000/year for International Insurance (on average for a family of 4-6..no USA Coverage)
$12,000/year per child at the QSI (international school) SIS is double that!

If you have 3 children in school, thats $36,000 out of your own pocket at QSI!!!

36,000 (3 kids going to school)
+ 4,500
_______
$50,000 (take that out of your salary)

Now that I've said that...sure beats flipping burgers.