PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Aviation Academy
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 18:08
Zyox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gonna have to side with KeithTo on this one. I went through the course with CAA (who at the time were Pilot Recruitment Ireland, before becoming Pilot Recruitment International, before becoming PRI Academy, and now CAA) and it was 45,000eur for us to do it. We were told they made a loss on us at this price. I'm not surprised, it was quite cheap. (Edit: to clarify and "name and shame", I'm the one that finished)

This seems to have been done to attract the first crowd in and get the company going, fair enough. And I'm not going to start dragging up all the annoyances that happened over there in dealing with them at times, they were a start up company, a fair bit of "cowboy-itis" going on, and it's all in the past now thank ****.

But the price increase to nearly double of what it was initially, when you look at how much it costs to train in JAA-land, is quite surprising.

If you do intend on training in Canada, which I _highly_ recommend because of the amazing country that it is and how beautiful the flying is there, then look around. Check out the Moncton place which actually gives you a JAA qualification. That way you can work in both places. None of this working for a pittance as an instructor flying only 7-8 months of the year and waiting years to get into a right hand seat. Especially when you could, as KeithTo says, pay a hell of a lot less going to a good flight school that isn't tied in with a recruitment company and sort out your own accommodation very very easily Should also add that there is quite a large demand for instructors in Ireland (and England too I think) where the pay is a hell of a lot better than the pay in Canada, in much much better conditions. Yes you need to do a little more work to get there in the end, including sitting your ATPLs, but you need to do that anyway if you want to go commercial/airline no?

Originally Posted by Winto22
i should have been more accurate in my statement , after 12 months if an airline will take me then great
Originally Posted by Winto22
i have no intentions to convert to JAA or / write my ATPLs anytime soon
Not to single you out or pick on you here Winto22, but if you don't write your ATPLs how will you get an airline job?

Choose wisely guys and girls. Don't be taken in by planted students impressing the management This is the 2nd/3rd time I've seen it tried here over the years, and it boils my blood each time

Last edited by Zyox; 11th Aug 2008 at 18:17. Reason: see first paragraph brackets