PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - is ryanair serious?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 17:26
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
If Ryanair are going to tell people who have got others to assist with their travel arrangements, like travel agents, that the booking are now void, even though the requested fare has been paid, and Ryanair are pocketing the money but refusing them travel, on the basis of some minor point in their self-written terms and conditions, then they are pretty certainly breaching the UK Unfair Contract Terms Act.
I don't think that RYR are pocketing the money. I think that they have said that they will be refunding the bookings - see the article linked to in the first post in this thread.

However, the "Terms and Conditions of Travel" do say:-
Reservations

All bookings for Ryanair flights must be made directly on www.ryanair.com or via a Ryanair call centre. Any booking you may make via a third party website or online travel agent maybe cancelled without notice or refund.
Like you, I think there's a pretty good chance that this would fall foul of UCTA. But would it fall foul of UCTA if the provision were that a cancelled booking would be involuntarily refunded? I am not so sure that it would.