PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 Crew get BA safety Medal
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 17:05
sispanys ria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainboe, I will not comment on your aggressive attitude towards me beside I'm sincerely posting without any bad intention.

The idea is to keep flying just above stall- 108kts sounds about right! You need to keep attitude control to the end.
Flying just above the stall speed with high fpm is definitely not the best way to increase the gliding distance. Without anymore referring to the particular BA038 flight (I don't have enough experience and material to elaborate) I would still appreciate to discuss the following 3 options that have been mentioned assuming a plane looses power in similar conditions and that the crew is immediately aware of it and able to react:

1- You try to remain on the glide, meaning you have to pull on the stick which results in decaying speed and ends in a pre-stall high fpm steep descent till impact.

2- You don't pull or push on the stick and the plane will lower its nose as it will try to keep its IAS. Once you reach a reasonable flare height then pull on the stick to keep the plane level, drop the flaps and finalize the flare to arrange low IAS/low fpm impact

3- You push on the nose to accelerate the plane and then deal with a dangerous flare due to inertia, while you probably spoiled a lot of energy while changing your pitch.

I understand Rainboe would definitely go for option 1 while I would have bet for option 2 .

I would appreciate if you could elaborate on this choice and especially highlighting why option 2 wouldn't be applicable. Thank you