PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dornier 328
Thread: Dornier 328
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2000, 01:52
G-INGER Roger

Just to report back on a comedy of aviation incidents - I think I must have been jinxed!

Got to Cambridge airport on Sunday to find that the company I was visiting had messed up my booking leaving nothing paid, so I had to buy 2 separate sets of return tickets en route (glad I took my credit card - Ouch!)

Flight to Amsterdam was good - Dornier 328 is a great little aircraft. Nice, new 'n' comfy interior and a very impressive climb rate. Got 10 mins on the FD and was shown around the instruments, and it is certainly one of the most modern I've seen.

Spent the majority of my 90 mins in Amsterdam trying to buy my ticket to Brussels. Display boards weren't working properly so my flight wasn't even shown (panic!!!) & the Sabena ticket desk is very well hidden. Only 10 of us on an RJ100, and only 5 seats a breast so good 'n' comfy for me to catch my breath.

Way home was even better!

KLM1730 to Amsterdam, I was offered the j/s in the Fokker 70 within minutes of sitting down. Just before pushback, Sabena catering truck drives into the wing! Cue 90 min delay with engineers examinations, photos emailed off to KLM engineering & a patchup job performed.

Flight was excellent and even though it was especially hectic since it was only 25min, Captain & No 2 kept me well informed as to exactly what was going on and pointed out the sights on the way. Amazing experience! Top blokes! Cabin Crew were fab as well and chatted happily to me in the galley while we waited (much better place to be than bored in my seat!)

Got to AMS after my connection to CBG should have left, but was pleased to find out it was delayed.....very delayed...... Finally boarded 4 hours late, started to taxi and the cabin lights kept going off. Not long before we were back on stand - one of the generators was tripping out. Had been repaired once (hence the late arrival of inbound aircraft) but was midbehaving again.

Got back on the bus, but waited for 15 mins for some ground staff to let us into the terminal, and while we waited we watched the last alternative flight of the day to London pushed back and departed - Hmmmm (EZE to Luton so would have been a perfect alternative and we were due to fly to Luton as CBG shuts at 9 anyway.) 60 mins later our aircraft declared u/s and off to the airport IBIS hotel we all go.

This morning, an hour delay and the 328 was still u/s so the old 228 was back on the route which was quite an experience! Got us back, and the views are certainly good since the cruise was only at 10,000ft and the windows huge! Bit noisy and drafty!

So overall, a bit of a transport disaster! Some frequent travellers on the route to CBG say that it is pretty reliable overall, but I hear that the 228 is about to go back at the end of its lease which will take out any spare/rescue capacity. I can't imagine they will keep a newly acquired 328 in reserve?

Next time I think I'll put up with the train journey to LGW/LHR/LCY and avoid the extra connections if possible. Glad I managed to do the route once and love the 328. Saw a 328jet at AMS too, which looked very smart although I don't have a problem with the prop for journeys that length.

Thanks again for all the info - happy flying in life after Scotairways!

Ginger