PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator sessions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2000, 04:52
Secret Squirrel

Bill, I guess if all those things are given in quick succesion they serve no purpose but to find out how much you can take, OR, you're being 'taught' by a checker which is the most useless type of sim **** there is.

I hate sim sessions but they are a necessary evil. Indeed I hate them so much I wish they were every three months. Sound like a contradiction? Maybe but I know how rusty you can get after six months of not looking regularly at your drills and the unfamiliarity with the sim details is half the pain of it.

You have to consider that there are a certain amount of 'ticks in the right boxes' which have to be 'ticked'. Depending on the sim type you are flying it can cost anything from £500 - £1000 an hour.

In our company we have some good instructors and some bad ones but the good ones all have one common strategy (IMHO): They will give you a failure, or failures, and assess your skill at solving the issue(s). The sim will then be stopped and the instructor will give praise where it is due or ask your reasoning behind a certain decision which he deems erroneous. He/she will then move on to another exercise but always stopping the sim to go through the exercise and disect it with the pilots.

Now this may seem like an incredible waste of time and, therefore, money but I assure you I learn much more from it than if they leave me on tenterhooks and debrief me after 4 hours at 01:00. This leaves only general points to be made in the debriefing when, let's face it, we're hardly at our most receptive to details.

Having said this, this approach does not work on an LPC/OPC for obvious reasons. I presume you were not talking about this as the only failure you should be given is an engine failure. At least that's the way we do it. Our loft exercise is a seperate item.