PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 Crew get BA safety Medal
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 09:26
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, Rainboe you are talking a great deal of rubbish about inertia and pitch/power couplings in your understandable desire to scupper sispanysis ria's irritating postings.

With the luxury of several attempts and knowing the scenario I have seen it proven in the simulator that it would have been possible to have reached the threshold of the runway under control. It took some interesting actions and the visual picture looked awful.
Well I'd love to hear more. What a terrific opportunity for a learning experience for big jet pilots. I have to say from 18 years 747 operating, losing effective power at 700', I would be loathe to put the nose down with barely enough height to pull up again, with simultaneous loss of the trim effect of power to cope with as well. So as what I have said is apparently incorrect (and what the only crew to be so affected actually did), would you be so kind as to expand on what you have seen and how it could possibly have been better handled? Would any pilot, with engines unexpectedly failed, at that altitude actually throw the nose down. I don't see how after the loss of energy from those engines from the time of failure sometime above 800', they could have got the aeroplane the extra distance to the threshold no matter how they played it, even at 108kts. I would be most interested in hearing how it should be done!