PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 06:42
hailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The case for the defense!

Drool69er/ Hoofarted,

I was aware as I wrote the post you find offensive that the wrath of the wronged would probably descend!

It is irrelevant but, yes, I have been made redundant, yes I have been worried about feeding the family and paying the mortgage etc. That is not the point.

I agree HKA is a mismanaged nightmare; I know of the injustice many have endured; I believe the CAD have failed in their duty of over-sight. I agree fully that pprune is not a place for the faint hearted and is the correct forum to highlight what has happened and air grievances.

I can not agree that it is a good strategy, good for the image of the profession or good for your own case to enter into a vitriolic diatribe that portrays the management as bad purely because they are Singaporean or Chinese; that all Asian are hopeless pilots and buy their ratings; that the use of offensive names will tighten the CAD over-sight. Racist language hardens entrenched attitudes and prejudices and does not lead to solutions.

I would love to see the HKA management get their due rewards and the CAD develop the guts to do their job. However, you can surely see you are providing fuel for the perpetrators in defense of their actions to dismiss the accusations and even the "irrefutable facts" as colonial era racial prejudice?

Could you really convince an impartial court that their actions were not governed by the need to cut costs and it was just unfortunate that all those affected were Caucasian? Could you really prove the allegations of "Parker Pen" hours in log books? Could you really show that the CAD knows their FOI is incompetent? Many good men who have also suffered from this mismanagement are on your side but recognise the real difficulties.

In short I agree with your case; not your methods. Utopian tripe in your opinion it may be, but in my book anything that undermines the ability for people of different races to work effectively together does us all a dis-service. Pompous you may claim, but it is an opinion borne of considerable cross cultural experience.

Yes - you were probably the victims not the original perpetrators of racism. Sadly that does not make retaliation on the same grounds acceptable.