PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Renegade' controllers leave pilots flying blind: air chief
Old 11th Aug 2008, 03:35
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
G'Day Max1,

Ref the 'Composite Salary'...I think you might find that, as I recall, the composite salary was introduced by the then spin doctors as being the panacea for those who were sick on weekends to not have to attend work just to receive the then penalty rates, which MAY in some cases compromise safety, and also to avoid passing on their flu or whatever to the rest of the crew....

AsA would introduce the composite salary so that the 'penalties' would be included in your 'ordinary salary', so that the above would not occur at no cost to the employee.......So Good So Far...we all thought...but what was the catch?? ('They' don't do nuthin without a benefit to 'them'...)

So the 'Composite' 30% or so was introduced, and accepted by the staff, and, the catch was....

AsA got rid of all of the Regional Pay Staff clerks!!

Nobody saw THAT coming!

Some 16 or so staff in WA Region Pay Office got the chop!

Similarly, other regions ditto, I would imagine.

All pay calculations were subsequently transferred to the ONE Pay Office in ML, whose computors could quite easily handle the same composite salary being paid to all staff across OZ, with the late inclusion of O/T and E/D, being entered into the system by your own local 'Staff Clerk' - usually your CA3 in the front office.

Huge staff savings, and the beginning of the 'Big Redundo Program'....which continues to this day.........

The 'Spin Offs' that you mention, were I believe, just that! As far as I am aware, there was no 'intent' to make the 'manager's pay' better - although I have little doubt that this MAY have been stated to the managers to get their votes....

The Big 'Downside' to AsA? They seem to have failed to realise at the time, that the offshoot was that there was only ONE SALARY figure for each 'grade' of staff, and THAT salary now became the "Salary For Super" purposes. But, it was now too late to change.

This meant that the redundo packages were now calculated on the new salary rate, i.e. we all got an immediate increase of around 30% on our 'Final Salaries'....multiplied by the various factors of years of service etc...

"THANKYOU VERY MUCH" was all most of us could say!!!

Anyhow, sorry for the slight thread drift - but I did think that the 'Composite' concept needed to be 'sorted'.......

Cheers