PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NEW AOA, It is time!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2008, 01:36
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Besides the AoA does get lawyers involved when needed! Also CX work within the cracks of our contracts, lawyers would not necessarily get us the results that we need in a time frame that would suit us!!
Ah, I don't remember seeing a clause that excuses some people from a full command course and PCA, yet that is exactly what the company is doing with some pilots. That would be a case in court for unfair treatment, especially being that so many people fail the command course. Please name the last time that lawyers where involved and where on the company's case for violating T&C.

With non-membership at 45% that tells me that 45% are happy with current T+C's and/or are not prepared to do anything about it.
NC you are a wise man and I respect your opinion, but your assumption is flawed. You are begining with the false pretense that Union membership = pilots unhappy with contract; I disagree with that assumption. You're theory would be correct if you had some sort of evidence that showed the AOA has done something to improve the T&C, but such evidence is nowhere to be found.

Even when membership was over 90%, the company still got what they wanted, so how do you believe that getting everybody on board will change anything? Strong leadership has to lead the way with strong actions. Something that members like myself can take to non-members and say, "look at this, look what we achieved". At the moment, the best I have to offer to non-members is that they get this little gold pin to put on their tie.

You show me some actions, something to believe in besides talk, and I will show you membership increases. In my opinion, 45% non-membership says those pilots feel that their money would be wasted. I don't think that they are happy with their T&C, they just don't think paying AOA fees will change that. If you want to change that view you need to show them action. Pilot's are very rational thinkers, and what you are asking from them is sort of like "religious faith".

Up to now, all we have seen from the AOA is cooperation and submission to the company. Every update I receive reads "we will meet soon to discuss", or "we haven't reached an agreement, so this is what will happen". Or even "though you voted, we are gonna give you a chance to change your mind and see things our way".

That mentality, sir, really needs to change.