PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 320
Thread: Airbus 320
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 22:55
Norsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 training and paying to work

I have Volume I, II, III, and IV along with a CD-ROM on the MCDU for the A320 family for sale. Seriously. Let me know if interested and I will list it on eBay. The books are heavy so shipping will be expensive if shipped outside the US.

On another note: As the Chief Pilot for a now defunct airline here in the US I have been interviewing pilots for quite some time. Once in a while I was contacted by pilots looking for employment and who was willing to pay for their own type as well as fly for free. Let me tell you, those resumes went straight in the bucket. I have had numerous discussions with people over there years about what is right and "wrong" in regards to getting experience as a pilot. This is where I stand on the subject, if anyone cares: It is wrong to pay for a job that other are getting paid to do. You are displacing another professional who does this for a living and cannot afford to compete with you (working for free that is). What I don't consider wrong is to pay to fly right seat in an aircraft requiring only one pilot. There are a few freight outfits in the US where pilots can show up, pay a buck to fly right seat in a twin-turbine aircraft and get some experience. They are not undercutting anyone, just buying some experience. Almost like an engineer going to school for another year to get a master degree. Anyway, I never kept the resumes of pilots who obviously paid to fly right seat either. Why? Because I prefer individuals who have worked hard to get to where they are, who have made some sacrifices and built good work ethics and character at the same time. Just a personal preference. Having met many other airline managers in my career I know that many don't care how you got your experience as long as you can fly and be a good employee, especially during times of pilot shortage around the world. Funny how things change.