PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 22:47
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Your remarks about the chain of command being "bust" are striking.
I have been following the airworthiness debate from the start, and appreciate your contributions.
Thank you for your kind remarks baffman. It seems we both deeply care for the Service and its People and are concerned about where both are right now. Do you believe that the CoC is bust? If so, what is your solution? I have been around this block before and been told that with the sale of quarters, the privatisation and centralisation of administrative services and general reduction in size and scope of support services, the means by which junior commanders can effect improvements and facilities at a local level are very limited, and their right to intervene in centralised services likewise due to DPA etc. If that is so my feeling is that most of what has been done to produce such a situation should be undone, so that junior commanders can once again be effective in the morale and well being of their subordinates. Impossible? No, keeping people from leaving in droves seems to be the impossibility, even with a recession biting. The RAF is fast heading towards manning meltdown. With all due respect I don't see that changing much if the only answer is BAFF, it may alleviate the symptoms but only structural reform to the RAF itself can be a cure, I believe.