PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 17:21
Old Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK & USA centrifugal (LP) fuel pumps

The fuel pump pictured at Post #1636, lower item in the sketches, is the scroll case (etc) housing for the pump impeller, as manufactured in the UK by Eaton Aerospace Ltd for the B777. The impeller is on the same shaft as the motor and part of that assembly which is not shown; it enters the pump housing from the left. The fuel inlet is axial from the right, and the fuel discharge is upward and turning to exit horizontally to the right. The maximum discharge pressure (at zero discharge) is 30.5 psig [pressure edited for particular pump used in 777-200 aircraft].

Its motor is 200 V, 400 Hz, 3 phase, [12000 rpm, explosion-proof, fuel-cooled, drawing nearly 9.5 amps approximately constant over all discharge rates from 0 to 40000 lb/hr at 12 psig--[correct option identified by edit and dc & var frequency options omitted as n/applicable]]. The printed flow rate maximum per pump is 35000 lbs/hr, which may account either for discharge backpressure in the piping of this particular airframe or for operation at altitude. The performance graph suggests a discharge pressure of 16 psig for this rate; the graph does not identify data as applying at standard conditions (ie, sealevel pressure, etc) as do some of the other graphs. Four such pumps are fitted to the aircraft when the Eaton equipment is used; they are each two-stage pumps. [Last three sentences specific to the Eaton application in the 777-200 were added by edit.]

The first fuel pump pictured at Post #1545 is a similar arrangement, but is shown opposite hand, and includes the motor, showing it assembled into the scroll casing of the pump (a note implies the impeller is in the motor area, but it would be in the area of the scroll casing, although it would disassemble attached to the motor assembly). There is a Goodrich Corporation fuel pump made in the USA for the B777; I assume this may be it, but my computer locked unable to read a PDF fueling brochure (I lack latest Acrobat reader). Of interest is that Goodrich makes FADECs and what they call an integrated fueling system.

I hope this info may be of help. Again, I don't know [whether Eaton or Goodrich equipment] is in this aircraft [reworded on edit]. Just an experience footnote, I used to design and troubleshoot hydrant fueling systems for both fighters and very large transports.

OE

Last edited by Old Engineer; 11th Aug 2008 at 20:06. Reason: Changed data for specific Eaton (UK) pump for B777-200