PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 Crew get BA safety Medal
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 16:21
sispanys ria

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all your comments.
What I meant regarding the press conference is that following such events crews should be handled with care following the intensive stress and I'm really surprised they were asked to make a speech in front of cameras and microphones.

Regarding the use of automatisms I would agree in a normal situation, but in that case, without power, no automatism can keep the glide for long. The known result is that the aircraft AP disconnected at 108 kts which led to a high fpm fall (very close to a stall). Should the AP have disconnected at a slightly lower IAS, the aircraft would probably have entered a full stall. At such a low speed there is no way to control any flare and reduce the fpm before impact... I doubt any pilot would deliberately let the AP try to keep the glide at 108 kts without power, this is why I feel the crew was probably confused by the situation and didn't have time to take any action (not even an emergency call)

I see many people making well done comments, may I ask what was well done ? I insist, I'm not blaming the crew for anything, I would just like to understand if they are just an unfortunate crew or if they really acted as heroes... I suppose those who congratulate them should have ways to elaborate on this.
Thank you very much.