PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tayside Aviation
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 14:27
Continental Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tayside Aviation is a long established FTO ( since 1968), has a good reputation in Scotland and is the sole UK contractor for the RAF flying scholarship scheme.

After flying up to Dundee recently to have a look around and speak to their current/ recently ex-students & staff I've signed up for their CPL course.
The 25hr module is carried out over 4 weeks on the PA-28 201 Arrow (complex, high performance), the courses are small - usually only a couple of CPL students with 1 dedicated instructor, although John Stewart the CFI does some CPL instruction. The pass rates seem very good, as does the feedback received. The costing is satifactory (<5k inc briefings & landing fees), although (standard practice)the skill test will set you back an additional £729 + a/c rental for the privalige.

In addition, they have on-site maintenance, the CPL examiner is at Perth (nearby) and facilities for MEP, IR & MCC on their new Alsim AL200 multi crew sim.
I think the major downside is the weather. As a temporary resident of Scotland for many years I can confirm most peoples suspicions that it is not a tropical paradise - but it's all good practice.

Not a problem to PM me if you want.
CD