PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kathmandu airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 13:51
JungleJett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kathmandu

Hello there,

I fly on average 3 times a month in and out of KTM. As long as the Wx. is OK, no problem. I fly a 320 so we start configuring early and by the time we reach position NOPEN which is I believe 12 NM from KTM we are fully configured, full flaps and gear down at 12500 ft MSL.
The problem is that during monsoon season (right now!), there is almost always a nasty CB sitting right by NOPEN. Not a whole lot of room to maneuver left or right of it.
It is a VOR-DME Rwy 02 Approach. DME mandatory even if it's VMC. At least it is our company's procedure.
We cannot use 02 for take off....you'll see why when you'll get there. Rwy 20 for T/O then with max tail wind limit of 10 kts.
Both Captain and F/O must go through sim. training and qualification.
As mentionned above, Engine Out go around or EOSID is tricky. Do not lose situational awareness!!!
Do not accept, EVER, a clearance below MSA.
You might get a clearance to NOPEN and then hold there while the previous aircraft is shooting the approach. I recommand you to hold at SMR VOR. It's just before NOPEN when you come from the south and most likely you will come from the south. The reason being the weather is most probably OK until SMR and then it gets nasty as I previously mentionned it. ATC has no objection either way.
For departure if no CBs, Dharke1?...don't have the plate in front of me....is OK. Otherwise I recommand the other Darke SID. The one that circles over Kathmandu valley. That way you will put more air between you and the hard rock....and more options to maneuver.
That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck don't forget to bring the camera!