PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kathmandu airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 12:44
greybeard

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

It has also been 5 years since I went to KTM, all the above comments are spot on.
The Jepps we used had a specific missed approach procedure for 2 and ONE engine which if followed were a relatively safe manouver. The difficulty was the length and difficulty of the memory to retain the message. Our operation had an extra F/O on the service and from me he was specifically briefed to begin reading the chart out to both of us in the event of a missed approach.
The same brief was issued to that position on Take-off in the event of a failure. This did not replace a complete standard brief, only added the extra section.
The haze can make seeing and understanding the PAPI very difficult, you actually fly over the VOR so tracking can be a bit inaccurate, there were some geographics we used to align, but they may/will have changed so no info from me on that, sorry!
You will with the fuel costs be right up to weight for landing, TAS will be quite a bit above IAS, sink rates in excess of 2000'/min for part of your fully configured approach for 02. The circle to land 20 is only for the brave, practiced in the Sim, and familiar with the Airport crews in my humble opinion. If used remember the overshoot is different if you do this and lose it on base /final. One of my previous employer's crews did not remember, face full of hill, hard GPWS, overstressed many things and "escaped" to Kolkatta.
I did some 15 trips, was lucky to always get in, delayed many departures for WX, light A/C traffic is frantic using left and right circuits to either runway at times as wind can be L/V. Used 20 for departure once, not for the faint hearted, don't miss the place at all, but glad I went and did.

Be careful and come back.