PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kathmandu airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 12:23
b747heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Izrailev,

I agree with FlyMD as I used to operate the B747 (day and night) into Kathmandu but it was a requirement of the Nepalese Authorities that the crew be qualified in a sim prior to entry (meaning paperwork provided to support the entry request). PIA and TG have left battle scars on both sides of the mountains in Kathmandu.

My first operating sector into Kathmandu involved a very bad weather system passing through the area...every radio call was answered with a new QNH and the result was a missed approach due to cloud cover at MDA...the pucker factor really sets in when you enter the missed and for us at the time if I remember, having to remain within D4.0 of the VOR, circle to climb above 10,500' and then exit via DHARKE (if spelled correctly?). Spent the next 20 minutes dodging CB's in an effort to return to NOPEN for another go.

DO NOT take Kathmandu lightly....as already posted, it can be a great approach on a nice fine day, but if things are against you, .....

I really miss operating into Kathmandu...I hope to have the opportunity again sometime in the future?

Cheers,
Heavy

EDIT: Have to add that the above in no way constitutes a "procedure" for KTM. This is my recollection of events during my time there. In no way are previous or present company procedures reflected in the above description.