PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - African Operators
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2008, 10:11
Cap Loko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would almost say: make this a sticky tread.

Unfortunately, some operators (not only in Africa) lack proper application of SOPs or good standards.
I've been flying for an operator in Africa for a few years. I finally resigned due to accumulated discrepancies on the Beech 1900's and the operations. The major issue being the 2 (two) fuel gages inoperative for months. I refused to fly the aircraft in this condition up until my resignation. However all other crew in the company continued to fly it in this condition for months even on long trips. Fortunately, I didnt feel the pressure.
There where a lot more issues by then as well as some aircraft performance issues on the short strips we were operating. The day I got comments as why I left some pax and freight behind I decided it would be better to part. That meant that I didnt have a job anymore. It created a hassle for me and my family. Still, I don't regret my decision.

What I want to say with all this: Always maintain your OWN standards, with the minimum of company SOPs, especially in Africa. Its your responsibility and your license.
Keep common sense, fly safe.