PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 10th Aug 2008, 07:46
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's OK fella, sounds like politicians are writing RTS these days. I was more interested in the fact that the Kandahar IR follow up report effectively cleared the aircraft to continue AAR.

Perhaps you can help me on this one.

Post XV230, when AAR was still taking place I understand that at least two incidents happened very similar to XV230, involving serious fuel leaks. Two IRs were submitted detailing the theory that the high angle of attack/Deck angle and slow speed was allowing the fuel running along the airframe to re-enter the aircraft? I understand on one of these occasions the flares were corroded by the fuel and this gave the ground crew/armourers massive problems with how to dispose of them. If the flares had gone off in flight, a catastrophic failure could have occurred. I remember from my time on Hercs that flares left in automatic can be set off by the tiniest of heat sources. I can guess what the setting is for Kandahar airfield having operated out of similar places myself. I would say the crew were very lucky.

Strange because I don't remember the BoI referring to these two incidents.

Any ideas? I would have thought the very fact that these IRs had been raised was proof enough to warrant an investigation.