PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Club/tuition shuts down in Aberdeen
Old 10th Aug 2008, 07:07
papa600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that long ago YSW I was learning when there were at least half a dozen instructors available and more or less always two on duty over a weekend and during the week on demand. However most (all?) of these guys now have airline jobs and there was no one else coming in to replace them (young wannabe's doing the hour building as instructors). I went to enquire about converting to the Warrior 18 months ago and was given a list of mobile telephone numbers of instructors and told that was the best way of contacting them. It took a couple of weeks to tie someone down to doing the conversion. If I was learning how does that provide adequate / suitable training?

I think it is really sad that there is no longer a training organsation at ABZ as that is where the future GA community lies. I can't see anyone relocating to ABZ with a new group or with a private A/C if they have not learned there or there is no bonafide club established.

However I still maintain that the Signature issue, although real and significant, is a bit of a smokescreen for more fundemental problems resulting in the clubs demise i.e. no "readily available" instructors, no structure as a club and ultimately no client base.

I think it was a brave attempt by Grampian to keep the club running in some form and they are to be commended for that but ultimately it was not a suitable format for a training organisation and flying club other than for renters of whom there were not enough to sustain a business.