PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - J-1 Visa schools
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 20:51
Ewe Turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the fuel surcharges most US schools seem to be charging you will be lucky to get a R22 for much less than $300 per hour. Factor in your flights over there plus accomodation, car hire and living expenses and you won't be saving that much more, if at all, than compared to the UK.

example $300 per hour x 100 hours = $30,000. If you have to pay local taxes factor in another $3,000 or so. The flight school/operator will also want to check you out and do some local area flights/procedures. So say $35,000 for the flying. Thats approx £18,000.

Flights to the US are going to be around £500 with the taxes etc and six weeks accomodation will probably be another £1000 or so. Then you have car hire at say £500 and food/drink (on your days off, you need them)/spending money another £1000 at least so another £3,000 there.

Total for your 100 hours done in the US £21,000 ish

As you want to buy 100 hours I suggest if you did a bit of research and rung owners/operators you could probably get a R22 here in the UK for the £180- £200 mark which works out less than doing it in the States.

If you are doing the hour hour building for the grant of a CPL you may also be in a position to claim the VAT back. **** Disclaimer: I am not an accountant **** I am aware of several individuals who have done this and am am also aware of those who have been told no way by their own account/tax officer etc.

I was in the same position as you ten years ago and did all my sums and ended up doing it for less money here in the UK.

A quick google search shows a company here in the UK offering SFH in the R22 for £166 plus vat per hour. I reckon as you want 100 hours £150 plus the VAT would be achievable