PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 18:48
TiffyFGR4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, alot of very nice & interesting posts here

I used to make alot of model aircraft when I was younger, I used to buy all sorts, but not just model aircraft, I had tanks, ships, formual 1 cars, Le man racing cars, touringcars....Just about everything & anything I fancied.

My first model, not a kit, but a 'Matchbox' model....Well a toy, it was a little Harrier, I think a GR1? I got that for my 4th or 5th birthday, that was my pride & joy, took it everywhere with me....Until I lost it, oooooo how I cried. Then later in life, I started saving up my pocket money & started buying cheap airfix kits, then when I got my first job, started getting even more kits, but only for a couple of year, I got fed up with buying them. I used to buy, say for example, a few Harriers at a time & paint them in different colours, squadron markings etc. I done that with every RAF aircraft, so you can imagine how many I had, it got to a point where I had no where else to put them, so, end result, giving them away....Which hurt a bit.

One of the last model kits I bought was the 1/48 scale single seat Eurofighter Typhoon by Revell. A very nice kit, great attention to detail, made it look all used & worn in RAF markings, (like real RAFaircraft, I always think they look dirty, well used, which just gives them character, I think). But I always thought, on that kit, that the canopy looked too big, too tall on the aircraft......Maybe it was just me.

One of the best kits I ever had, was the 1/48 scale EE Lightning F-2A/F-6 by Airfix. I had one of each in different RAF marks, markings & colours. That was my favourite I think. Gave those away too, wishing now I kept at least one of them. But I'm thinking about getting one more, making it & have it to admire.

Now, I don't make kits anymore, I spend my time tuning, selling, fixing, modernizing guitars for a living, and of course playing them for a hobby & maybe playing for a living one day. But on pay day, I guess I should start saving up model kits again, but instead, flying off to Dubai & visiting my girlfriend/soulmate & bringing her back to Newcastle & just....Hanging around.......As you do

And whenI used to make model aircraft, I always made them look dirty etc. I think most of you might agree, they just look alot better like that

Ta-ta