PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alex Henshaw RIP
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 16:17
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose there were some people who considered Alex Henshaw "daft/irresponsible" when he made his flights in 1939.

"4 days virtually without sleep" is a slight exaggeration. He clearly didn't get much sleep on his 39 hrs 23 mins flight out or his 39 hrs 36 mins return, but (from recollection) he was in Cape Town for about 28 hours in between.

"breaking the 200Hp no autopilot ethos would make a mockerey of any attempt, as would relays of pilots."
I understand your point of view, but there are two sides to the argument.
Henshaw's Mew Gull was 'state of the art' in those days - an already very quick racing aircraft specially modified for his record attempt. If someone attempted to break the record now, it would seem reasonable to use what is a state of the art aircraft these days. If they broke Henshaw's records, the new records would reflect aviation progress in 70 years.
(Relays of pilots wouldn't break his records.)

BTW ......

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators is commemorating the 70th anniversary of Henshaw's record-breaking Cape flights next February.

There will be a dinner at the RAF Museum on the 5th February (the date he left London) and a dinner in Cape Town during the week beginning Monday 9th February. (Venue & date to be confirmed shortly.)

I'll post more info when it becomes available.

Both dinners will be open to all aviation enthusiasts, not only to members of the Guild.

Tudor