PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first Job?
Thread: My first Job?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 15:52
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After two years of instructing it still holds something new for me everyday - granted at times one feels like one may just be going through the motions but on the whole it's a great way to fly and earn money. People with little experience who look down upon instructing as some kind of second rate flying job really don't know enough yet to realise how much they don't yet know. For example: I recently visited an integrated flying school where many of the budding airline students had yet to solo in an aircraft however, the attitude of some was unbelievably arrogant. Their attitude was little short of insulting towards instructing as a noble occupation and I found myself sat chuckling into my pint wondering if I too had been like that pre-instructing? The answer was no. These kids must really get sunshine blown up their arses at these places from day one... I guess confidence is a key part of success but when confidence and ability are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum it can only ever lead to trouble...

Personally, the idea of having someone sat up front of an airliner who hasn't come up through the ranks of flying and more importantly instructing is very sobering - granted many do and many operate as co-pilots very well but I think back to what I knew and what I had experienced as a pilot when I rolled off the fATPL production line.... two totally different beasts. As an instructor of only two years now it proper amazes me how some inexperienced "wannabes" view instructing with self elevated mockery but you can't tell these people anything unless you have 4 golds bars across yer shoulders - very pitiful state of affairs and one wonders where the romantic awe and respect for flying has gone amongst some youngsters who see operating a fly-by-wire aircraft as the be-all and end-all of their aviation career.

You could be forgiven for thinking I say this to make myself feel better that I am an instructor and not an airline pilot but when I am flying an airliner my opinion will not change.

Instructing is extremely rewarding in every respect bar financial. Don't get so preoccupied walking through the woods that you fail to appreciate the trees. Speak to any airline pilot who instructed and many will tell you that their best flying days were as an instructor. I still instruct but will miss it enormously when that day arrives!

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 9th Aug 2008 at 16:43.