PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 14:16
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Van and a Dak decided to do a formation running break at Loki, and broke left over the army camp, despite it being perfectly well known that this was strictly verboten.

I'd landed inmmediately before and saw the ill-advised event. Five minutes later, as the miscreants were shutting down a bunch of green jeeps came roaring onto the apron bristling with weapons and very angry soldiers. The Lieutenent began screaming at me in an apopleptic fury, spittle flying, eyes like organ stops until I managed to point out that my prop had stopped but the naxt Van in the line's hadn't.

They only avoided being shot because they were too close for the missiles to lock on or something like that, and the guns didn't fire at point-blank range because the gunners argued about which to shoot first, by which time they'd gone.

It was impossible to tell if the Lt was so furious because he'd damn nearly wiped out a civvy aircraft, or that his soldiers hadn't performed as they should have. Either way those two aircraft had a very very close call.