PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the North Atlantic - a beginners story
Old 9th Aug 2008, 11:53
Sam Rutherford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Correction (sorry Damian!)...

I don't have my IR (day before check I was told I needed the 'confirmation letter' from the UK CAA - see other thread somewhere!). So, I have 'all' the experience and training, but none of the signatures!

From US to Iceland, no IR required for VFR flight, and no limit on level of transit.

From Iceland to Europe, not above FL060 without an IR (regardless of conditions), so I filed VFR out of Iceland (and they confirmed verbally the 060 limit). Once airborne, I asked for FL100 to maintain VMC on top - they asked me to wait (presumably putting my request into the IFR system) and about 30 seconds later gave me the okay. No request about PIC qualifications whatsoever. I have only done it once, so can't say if this is a technique that can be repeated or not (but I like it!).

I don't know if they gave me an IFR clearance, or a VFR exception to the 060 limit...

Sam.

Hi Damian, Never Say Never is now at Lille, and I'm in Belgium again tomorrow - Grimbergen beers?