PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One trial flight and I am hooked!
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 10:27
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One trial flight and I am hooked!

Hi Guys

I have notices that many PPL(H) questions get asked on rotorheads, so hope you do not mind me adding to them...

After years of planning to do it, but never getting around to it, I had a trial flight in an R22 the other day. I have to say I was hooked within about 10 minutes! So I have decided to go for the PPL(H) as a minimum, and possibly the CPL(H) sometime after.

First question: Do you recommend the marginally cheaper 10 hour block payments in this 'credit crunch' environment, or should I just stick to payment after each lesson? I am intending to do about 5 hours per month, so I would only be paying 2 months ahead as a maximum. Also, we are only talking £8 per hour before VAT difference, so if you think there is any risk, there is not much point in my taking it.

Second question: I want to aim for close to minimum hours (39), so what rate of training do you guys recommend to achieve this? Will 5 hours a month be enough continuity? I have to fit it in around my long haul flying, so to do more hours per month, I'd have to do some lessons on consecutive days.

The school I am planning to use is Whizzard helicopters, Welshpool. Any thoughts?

GS-Alpha