PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You've Got To Be Kidding, Red Rat Ground Return
Old 9th Aug 2008, 10:25
HotDog
The Reverend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect to QF LAMEs and their sentimets in regard to outsourced maintenance; let's put this into perspective. The latest hyped up drama by the press about the aircon duct failure on VH-TJU occured some two months after it left the MAS service facility, where I believe around 12 QF LAME inspectors supervise the maintenance schedule and certify the aircraft C of A; after the completion of the particular check has been carried out. Nor the press or the average man in the street is aware of the fact that defects can and do occur at any time of operation. If, as some of the correspondents seem to imply; that the duct leak or rupture happened at a previous site of repair, how do they know the repair was carried out by MAS? I belive VH-TJU has been maintained in Australia previously. The world fleet of passenger aircraft is approximately 15,000 airframes (not counting commuter aircraft with less than 100 seats) and is expected to double in the next twenty years. Qantas fleet size is around 230 at this time, not counting orders. That means that 14,700 aircraft are being maintained by LAMEs other than Qantas trained personnel, happily flying around the world; including in and out of Australia. I myself operated several jet aircraft for 33 years that were maintained overseas, without any major mishaps or maintenance errors. Yes, Australian and QF LAMEs are good but no better than others. I only wish the press would be aware of this fact, I cringe when I read reports in the paper about an aircraft being grounded instead of delayed until a defect is rectified, one that was found on a pre flight check; an action which proves the safety factor in aviation.

Donning my steel helmet and flack jacket.