PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 Captain vs 767 FO
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 08:54
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion of old timer...

Hola Bluedog...
xxx
I fly for airlines since 1969, and about to retire in 3 months. Been through many airlines, and bankruptcies, and layoffs...
xxx
I would recommend you to seek a captain position first, rather than a transition to a bigger airplane as first officer, provided of course that a captain upgrade is in an "airliner", not some toy "commuter" airplane with an airline name painted on the fuselage. To my opinion, the E-190 is a perfect aircraft for a first command in airline service. The position would qualify you for the E-170 to E-195... and many of these airplanes are to be delivered.
xxx
In my career, I had to start as F/E (727 then 707), and followed the advice of going for F/O upgrade first (which I got on 727, then 707), and then to captain upgrade as soon as possible, which I quickly obtained on 727... I had no interest in being a F/O on "wide body" - as a F/O 747 position had been offered to me - instead, I took the captain position on 727...
xxx
Once I got the 4 stripes and the LH seat on 727... I remained captain from then on, going to the 707, then the DC8, then the 747... The old saying says "once a captain, always a captain", and never had any problem to obtain other captain assignments. To get positions on other airplanes in your career, coming out of the E-190, I do not know what would be next for you, but you very well could get a command on say, a B-787, or a A-340...Think that the world economy is not doing the best right now, especially you mentioning USA... being a captain will help you to secure continued employment.
xxx
If you look for extra income, I would suggest, you being a captain, thereafter, to seek instructor positions on the type aircraft you fly, this in classrooms, simulators, or line training. That in turn, refines your flying abilities through constant training practice or demonstrations, knowledge of the airplane, and gives you extra privileges, such choice of duty rosters... etc.
xxx
All the best - So, "captain" is your first priority - thereafter, the size of the paycheck...

Happy contrails