PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AERAD Charts - What is happening
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2008, 08:41
Mungo Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm disgusted with the new format as there are several areas in which they significantly less clear than before.

All radio beacons and waypoints are identical in depiction. So rather than looking for a relevant VOR or NDB now you have to study the frequencies - not difficult sure, but not as simple as before.

The 4d altitude check on the glide is now ambiguous wihtout careful studying where there is a separate DME for an ILS. Plus at several airports I've been to the LLZ 4d check is up to 60ft higher than the glide but its just not clear which is which at a glance.

The glidpath angle is now written on the vertical profile picture. When I pointed it out to a Captain who couldn't find it he was gobsmacked when he saw it. It is so faint it is basically a watermark on the page.

SID altitude constraints are the worst for flight safety in my oppinion. Previously an altitude or FL was underlined / overlined or both but they've removed the line and replaced it with MAX/MIN/AT so on a dark night in turbulence they look similar. How can this be an improvement?!

CATII charts have gone too. Now you have to use a CATI chart and flip to the back for the CATII minima.

As ravfooty said, the EU-ops minima are now on the chart and most captains I've flown with so far have been unaware of the fact that the JAR-ops minima we use are at the back.

Yes the company should have told us but they didn't until we turned up for work, pulled out the new plates and phoned ops to say the plates were all wrong - they said oh but we told you all about them ages ago... except they hadn't....