PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 19:20
mustpost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cypherus

Oohh you cynic you - (Thatcher,Major,Blair,Brown,Clinton,Bush - can't go on - they've had an effect on you) Beware - TVOC are viewing - you seem to be a good prospect as a business development manager - we live in materialistic times.

At the risk of drawing ire from BEagle onwards, one of my significant memories of the Vulcan are as follows (and I'm sure for every UK airshow from here to kingdom etc....)
Turnhouse Aerodrome (EDI) always had a very respectable display during the 50's/60's, and the Vulcan gag (which one got used to, even aged 6) was the commentator saying (at a lull in the proceedings) "and if you look over to the south of the airfield (Kirknewton direction) you will see the Edinburgh UAS performing their formation drill" (or something to that effect). They were of course miles away, and hard to spot even with binocs. I discovered that a 180 turn on my part revealed said Avro coming from the North - right over the flight line and crowd - in silent mode and then standing on its tail.
Bairns cried, grannies fainted - the first time I was very,very scared. I was 5.
The intake howl was then very evident.

Added - AGL on these displays today would mean they would instantly go to jail..unless of course it was 23.07.08 somewhere in England in some sort of private display.........

Last edited by mustpost; 8th Aug 2008 at 21:32. Reason: Info