PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - List your childhood model collection
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 17:17
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gosh, this brings back lots of memories, or it would do if the material holding the brain cells hadn't turned porous and let them all leak away! Solid balsa models of the Gloster Javelin, T33, and SNCASE Baroudeur complete with launching trolley. I seem to remember that I gave up with the wing of the Javelin after wearing my fingers down to the bone trying to sand it to the right aerofoil section - well, it looked OK suspended from the bedroom ceiling! Flying models of the DeH Comet (24 inch wingspan) and Canberra (21 inch) never got further than gliding flight out of my bedroom window - I didn't have a Jetex 100 motor and the Jetex 50 was woefully underpowered for the job. Mind you, the amount of paint I used, especially on the Comet to get the right BOAC paint scheme, and the amount of ballast needed to trim them both for flight probably ensured that the Jetex 100 wouldn't have been much better!

Blimey, I've found the photos, taken on my trusty Brownie 127 and home processed! Date - mid-fifties, I think.

Needless to say, both models finally succumbed to the breaker's match; being large they produced quite a good blaze.

I had the Frog Mark 5 fighter as well, I seem to remember it flew quite well

for a while

I've still got models of HMS Victory and HMS Ark Royal, both with hulls carved from solid. They're displayed in the corner cabinet in the sitting room (wife must have been impressed with the standard of work!) It took me three years to get up the courage to do the Victory - the rigging diagram was a nightmare for a young lad!

A few months ago I found a box of old models and decided that they were beyond economic repair so with considerable regret I chucked them. They included the Airfix Concorde (Air France colours) and an Aer Lingus F27.

I think I'll get myself one of those Space Models Concordes (keep Brian Pugsley comfortable in his retirement); I've got some birthday money kept hidden from my wife's shopping fund!

Nown where's that Revell JF90/EFA kit gone?