PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition for a Military Hospital
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 13:08
Epsilon minus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
War Wounded Need Better Medical Support

Please read this as an addendum to the sticky at the top of the page. I make no apologies for my concern at the inadequate levels of medical support afforded to our war wounded. Please read this message and then sign the 10 Downing Street petition (if you havent already done so) Please note THE ONLINE PETITION CLOSES 19AUG08. Thank you
EM

UNCLASSIFIED
Petition to: Create a dedicated Military & Veterans Hospital within the UK.

Please accept my apologies for forwarding unsolicited email to you, however I would be grateful if you would consider letting serving and retired UK soldiers, sailors and airmen know about the online petition asking the UK Prime Minister to provide suitable hospital care for injured service personnel.

This email was started originally by MO 2PARA 82-84.

The Military Covenant is the mutual obligation between the Nation, the Army and each individual soldier; an unbreakable common bond of identity, loyalty and responsibility which has sustained the Army throughout its history.

Soldiers will be called upon to make personal sacrifices - including the ultimate sacrifice - in the service of the Nation. In putting the needs of the Nation and the Army before their own, they forego some of the rights enjoyed by those outside the Armed Forces. In return, British soldiers must always be able to expect fair treatment, to be valued and respected as individuals, and that they (and their families) will be sustained and rewarded by commensurate terms and conditions of service.
In the same way the unique nature of military land operations means that the Army differs from all other institutions, and must be sustained and provided for accordingly by the Nation. This mutual obligation forms the Military Covenant between the Nation, the Army and each individual soldier; an unbreakable common bond of identity, loyalty and responsibility which has sustained the Army throughout its history.
It has perhaps its greatest manifestation in the annual commemoration of Armistice Day, when the Nation keeps covenant with those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their lives in action.
(The Military Covenant - British Army Website)
Friends,
All of you will know, that I am not one to send out “chain” e-mails. However, this is an issue that could not be closer to my heart, other than my family. (BUT, then again, these are my extended family.) In this message I do not refer to only servicemen, I don’t just mean Paras, I don’t just mean just Army – I mean all our Service personnel, whether “in harm’s way” or serving their Country in any way that our politicians (and by dint of the fact that we voted for them, WE, ask.)
The following message is the gist of what I have received from several very reliable sources. Please consider it; if you have not already done so, sign it; and, if you agree, forward it to as many people as possible who you think might also agree and sign it.
“We have been sent the following message. “Our understanding is that Selly Oak is good but it’s just not able to deal with the numbers coming back. As you will see below, time is short but it should still be possible to get some real numbers behind this one. If you feel able to help please sign up by visiting the link below and also please pass it on. I'm not in favour of chain letters but this one really is worth it. They stopped road pricing because of the millions who signed one of these petitions - maybe we can do the same for a military hospital.
Maybe you will join this petition? Only 5,000 people thereabouts have done this so far which is hardly a blip when compared to other petitions.
Just some background: we believe 2 PARA alone on this tour have sent back over 50 casualties to the UK, so when all of the casualties from other battle groups are added to the figure, how is ONE ward in an NHS hospital going to cope? It cannot cope, and the individual troops are sent home to recover relying on NHS visiting services which themselves are over committed.
A lot more than 5000 names are needed for this petition and quite cynically, Downing Street has put a time limit of one month for this to be achieved.
Do what you can.”
Steven Hughes, RMO 2 PARA 1982 – 1984 (and the proudest period of my life.)
PLEASE CONNECT TO THIS LINK.
Petition to: Create a dedicated Military & Veterans Hospital within the UK.