PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (EC) 1107/2006 - New rights for disabled and less mobile passengers in EU wef 27 July
Old 8th Aug 2008, 12:43
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, nearly 20% of Europeans have a disability (sorry, no mamby pamby PC terminology in my vocab). So assistance must be provided which is exactly what used to happen in the good old days when FR was still a full service and Stelios was in high school.

My pensioner mother could be in that 20% due to a spinal injury and reduced mobility, but instead she grits her teeth and gets on with being a normal member of society.

My fear with legislation like this is that it is open to exploitation by those elements who take the proverbial p***. My mother can walk and would walk within an airport, but many others could milk the system in order to make a point or build themselves an ego they really are not entitled to. When said individuals have paid only 5 euros for their flight, they really are taking the proverbial out of the system.

I find it quite incredulous (sp) that there is not a clause of providing assistnace relevant to an individual's disability or specific need. A deaf person needs only to be pointed in the direction of the departure monitors while someone with a genuine mobility restriction may need anything from knowing where the lifts are through to full wheelchair assistance. In my mind these regulations are simply an open invite for LCC PAX to cause mayhem and errode the service provided to those who genuinely need it.