PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS to take over flying DHL packages in Europe and Asia?
Old 8th Aug 2008, 07:03
penguin22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock_On
I can't wait to watch this Senate hearing on CSPAN. Maybe the US government can subsidize DHL in the US. Anything to get votes in a swing state. Can anybody tell me if the DHL ground workers in the US are unionized? As far as I know all UPS ground workers are Teamsters.
I agree! Congressional hearings?? Are you kidding me?? GREAT FUN!!! You'll never get the US gov't to subsidize DHL, but who knows what we'll learn form those hearings! I'll bet Bonn never saw this coming!

To answer your question, some of the DHL ground workers in major cities in the US are former Airborne Express workers, and most of them are Teamsters. ABX pilots are also Teamsters. So I don't think you'll see the Teamsters take a stand on the UPS side.... there's enough Teamsters on the former Airborne Express side (mainly ABX pilots) to prevent that.

McCain's campaign chair former DHL lobbyist......
Rick Davis was just another lucky break. (The first... this being an election year with Ohio a swing state) The Rick Davis news forced McCain to take a stronger stand in Ohio than he otherwise would have.

Now Obama, the Democrat, will have to take an even stronger stance on "save the jobs", because that's what Democrats do. Otherwise he'll chance losing Ohio, which is key to winning the White House.

If we truly get the Congressional Inquiry that McCain now proposes, who knows what we'll all learn about this mess! DPWN express division logs a profit of over a billion, while claiming it lost a billion in the US. Yeah, right! There's been systematic elimination of all express carriers in the US ever since DPWN bought DHL. Maybe we'll find out how that really happens.