PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - love norway want to work there!!!
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 05:45
Norsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure "they" have welcomed them. "They" is the government. The Norwegian people have been less welcoming, unfortunately. Poor integration policies have led to many norwegians turn their anger against immigrants when in fact the politicians have screwed it up. Look at how FrP have gained popularity, especially in its view on immigration. They used to be more radical in the past but are starting to change their tactics as they preach a more "sound" immigration policy without sounding like racist. It is not until the 2nd. or 3rd. generation of immigrants that things starts to change.
Of course there will be stories about those getting jobs in the oil sector etc. and maybe even an occasional pilot but that's about it. I guess my point is that I want to challenge those who believe Norway is this utopia where everybody loves everybody and foreigners are embraced with heart warming smiles as soon as they cross the border. Sorry, but its not the case. Look different = be treated differently.

And talking about legislation: Sure there are laws but countries enforce them differently. A law was just passed in Norway where immigrants have equal rights for government jobs by a certain ration. Without it, they wouldn't hire a single soul, more or less (slightly exaggerated but you get my drift). I still stand by my previous statement that there are many Norwegian companies run by incompetent people who are unable to see people as a resource. But you are right, the oil industry is the exception.

Last edited by Norsk; 8th Aug 2008 at 14:36.