PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing in Australia/New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2008, 03:57
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'generic labourer'
Hmm. was there any plumbing, bricklaying or electrical installation involved?
Voila, if so, you've got some experience. 'NVQ' as I wrote, is trade qualification in the UK usually. Most of construction trades are 'skilled' in NZ. Even bricklaying. Check it out.

Some of the required trade qualifications require NZ Level 4, which is mostly 2 year trade diploma, UK Level 3 NVQ. I'm not saying you should start a degree just because of securing papers in NZ.

If you fail to secure sponsorship in OZ, head to NZ, see what it's like. If you have some construction experience and get hired, that's starting point. I wrote the rest. Though, having gaps in flying experience doesn't exactly help, but if you can't get anything sorted after few months, start plan B whatever it would be.

Out of 'immigration countries', Canada is one that recognises aviation professionals as skilled persons. Not just engineers, pilots as well. I guess you'd be able to get their version of WHV, it's simple one year open work permit, no max stay in one job, you'd have not too big hassle converting CPL, doing Canadian FI rating and you've got a job with your hours. Once onshore, the work permit isn't that hard either as long as you have job offer.

I guess it's always easier to go from instructing to charter and up higher, than skipping one and then being slightly stuck in limbo. I'm sure you'd find the way. Did you know you don't even have to marry Australian girl (even same sex) to get residence? As long as you two cohabit together or in 'verifiable stable and genuine' relationship, after one year together you can file residence visa and after another year you'd qualify for it if still together. Best of all, it doesn't have to be living on Australian soil. Can be Europe, ME or elsewhere.
I know, not helping you much now.. I toyed with the idea for a while if there was some Asian Aussie citizen girl fond of me.

If you did JAA papers (or if you have them already), instructing would be OK with your hours. Competing for few airline jobs left is better with some real world flying compared to 200-250TT flight school guys. Then, you'd have IR to do as well on top of CPL/ATPL theory.

If nothing else, para dropping/skydiving clubs in the UK use 206/208s and you can do unpaid flying on PPL for them to stay sharp (summer season best). Guys in here say the clubs require more hours and experience than fresh CPL can offer. Some of them use twins, there's few TPs used for dropping as well.

I can't help but to be bit envious. I've got so much to get through ahead. Basically everything and more. Good luck.