PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS to take over flying DHL packages in Europe and Asia?
Old 8th Aug 2008, 02:40
Rock_On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McCain wants Senate hearing and more on DHL

I can't wait to watch this Senate hearing on CSPAN. Maybe the US government can subsidize DHL in the US. Anything to get votes in a swing state. Can aybody tell me if the DHL ground workers in the US are unionized? As far as I know all UPS ground workers are Teamsters.

McCain wants Senate hearing and more on DHL - OPENERS - Ohio Politics Blog by The Plain Dealer

McCain wants Senate hearing and more on DHL

Posted by Stephen Koff August 07, 2008 18:02PM

AP Photo/Mary Altaffer DHL employees hand Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCainsigned petitions during a visit to the Kelly Center Thursday in Wilmington.
GOP presidential candidate John McCain told civic and government leaders in Wilmington, Ohio, that he will seek a Senate hearing as soon as Congress comes back from a five-week break on the antitrust implications of DHL's planned contract with competitor United Parcel Service. McCain also pledged during the meeting in Wilmington this afternoon that he would do everything legally and constitutionally possible to keep DHL from eliminating more than 8,000 jobs in the small community. But he also told about 30 people in the meeting that in the end, he did not know if he could stop what he called a "train wreck."
Several participants of the closed meeting in a room at Wilmington College, where the windows were covered, apparently to keep people from looking in, said the much-anticipated gathering stayed positive and apolitical. The subject of McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, and his lobbying for DHL from 2003 to 2005 did not come up, they said.
McCain also said he would call for the chief executive of DHL's German-based owner, Deutsche Post World Net, to come to Wilmington and explain first-hand why the company wants to end its air hub operation there.

Last edited by Rock_On; 8th Aug 2008 at 02:59.