PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your take-home pay at the end of the month?
Old 7th Aug 2008, 23:33
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Averages around $200,000 USD per month. I know I am going to catch lots of flak for this but maybe it will help a newbie make the best decision for himself/herself. At the tender age of 18, I had fixed in my mind that I was going to have a career as a professional pilot (wasnt necessarrily thinking about helicopters) and was all set to go off to Embry Riddle to pursue this. My father sat me down and provided a little career counseling. This was influential and caused me to change course for a career in computer technology, my other area of great interest. Turn the clock ahead 40 years: successful business carrer doing something I loved every minute, upscale houses, cars, and a string of nice airplanes and helicopters. The downside: I havent been able to fly as much as I might like. The point: a flying career involves certain tradeoffs - be sure you understand these up front and can live with them.

Many of my friends are pro pilots. One recently took early retirement from a major airline where he was an instructor captain flying 747's on the Orient routes, with a seniority number around 4. I said "you have the best job in the world - one that many would covet." He said "I just cant stand the hassle anymore. If I'm lucky, I get 3 landings a month. You did it the right way." Now, he is sweating whether the pension he worked 30+ year to qualify for will be there when he needs it , as his airline has been in and out of bankruptcy.

Many folks who fly are really bright and can be successful at most anything they put their minds to. Why not do something that is both enjoyable and financially rewarding? This doesnt rule out flying because you enjoy it. Instead of flying an S76 in the Gulf, why not be President of Sikorsky (and pehaps have your own personal S76)?

OK, lets have it!

Last edited by EN48; 8th Aug 2008 at 18:28.