PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA recruitment freeze
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2008, 16:00
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are still quite a few jobs out there for low hour Pilots some for sub 300 hours and others for the 1000hour+ instructors. Very few I suspect on Jets. There is still constant movement in the turboprop world as FO's and Capt's depart for fresh fields flying something heavier. A 1000 hour instructor can expect to be up for a command course within 2 years of flying the line. 40k plus and in LHS seat dictating the mood of the day. I know this isn't an option for someone needing to repay £400+ a month on a 25k wage.

The biggest problem I can see in the TP world is qualified experenced Captains, can't get them for love nor money. To expand you need at least 1.5 crews per aircraft if not 2.5. So for low hour FO's to get thier foot in the door you need 2 Captains this what most companys are banging heads with. Even flybe are being liberal with their published DEC requirments.

And thats in a nice world where the training deptment stays stable. If a training Captain leaves that really can throw a spanner in the works, it can take months to get the next one released for courses and training. Which is why you sometimes get held for an additional 3-6 months its just something is stalled in the training deptment.

The usual intergrated, first points of contact I think are going to be not much use in the next couple of years. They haven't really been taking on the bulk of first type rating pilots on anyway for a few years now. The other 80% of the jobs, it doesn't matter how you train. And 10% of the jobs which wouldn't touch an intergrated graduate with a barge pole (but I suspect the feeling would be mutial )

It's ok for me looking back now at training choices. I certainly wouldn't want to be in anyones shoes today trying to work out whats the best thing to do.