PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spy Plane intelligence 'lacking' - BBC
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2008, 14:39
Mr Grim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having reread my post I can see that the statement is a bit ambiguous, for which I apologise. I meant 90% of what FJ are currently doing on ops, not 90% of what a FJ can do. Also please don't take this as an anti-Harrier thread, I just use it for comparison as it is our current FJ in theatre. The points are equally valid for Tornado or F16.

So what are UAVs currently useless for? A whole range of stuff - Air to Air, SEAD, Strategic attack, LL through the Scottish hills! On current ops - shows of force (although they are wanted extremely rarely except for unofficial airshows). In terms of speed they are slow (so harrier finally has an aircraft it is faster than!) but when something happens it is usually the FJ that gets there last because the UAV is already there, then doesn't need to go to the tanker 40 mins later!

I would be very interested to know where your info comes from, Jacko, at least in a general sense. Some mate on a sqn, "briefings" from the MOD/RAF, some ex-jag guy???!!?? 99% of the RAF still think a UAV is only good for looking at things for hours on end with a pod and that is it. As with all sources I hope you do a sanity/credibility check. Although I see you talk to the experts - were you on the recent press visit to Creech?