PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AERAD Charts - What is happening
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2008, 11:15
CarltonBrowne the FO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had the booklet issued to every pilot in the company, with reminders to study it before the implementation date. Even with that preparation, when I first had to use the new plates, they were an absolute horror.
Our summer sim profile is set around the airport I know best in the world, where I flew as a student, a PPL, an FO and as a captain. Even with that local knowledge, I found the plates almost unusable.
An example was elevation: instead of having the TD elev presented on a graphic representing the ground, it is in a box at the top- adjacent to a box with another elev, in identical print. Some of the terrain notes for the missed approach (instructions on how to avoid high ground if you cannot maintain the climb gradient) appear to have been removed.
Another issue is renaming the pages. Why? The old alphanumeric page numbers were easy to deal with in the flight deck- giving them numerical page IDs only is a nice neat solution, like giving us rows of identical switches and controls. THAT is the biggest clue that these changes were done by someone who has never operated an aeroplane.
I see this has devolved into another Jepps vs Aerad thread, which is unhelpful. What I would suggest is that companies which bought Aerad plates, did so because they wanted the Aerad presentation. Companies which wanted Jepps style presentation, bought Jepps plates.
If we are to have Jepps style presentation forced on us, we might as well buy Jepps plates! That, I suspect, is a conclusion many companies will come to.