PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Large Carbon Fibre structures Airworthy ?
Old 6th Aug 2008, 20:15
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Large Carbon Fibre structures Airworthy ?

Forgive me for asking a question which one would have thought answered long ago, but a recent posting on ' Rumours & News' basically critisizing the metal BAe 146 after a lightining strike, + personal experience, still make me wonder about this.

I was whisked at relatively high speed to an R.A.F. base where the then latest fighters, first with large parts of the structure inc. whole wing ( I believe at that time the largest carbon fibre structure in the world ) had just suffered the first lightning strikes.

The aircraft ( 2 were involved simultaneously I seem to remember ) were grounded, with slightly puzzled & worried looking technicians going over the wings - where the strike tracking was clearly visible - with ultra-sound.

This ties in with another trial I photographed, where ejected bullet link cases were hitting the aft fuselage ( alloy ) and horizontal stabilisers, ( carbon fibre ).

The problem is that even after a mild impact, carbon fibre acts rather like plywood, delaminating on the inside with no external sign of trouble.

This fact caused a lot of worry with the fighter, but being a military aircraft I presume such risks were acceptable - though personally I reckon a real warplane needs to be able to take a few dings without causing panic.

Since there is also a theory around that Carbon structures actually attract lightning, and / or are difficult to bond or protect from that and life's little minor impacts, is this material REALLY suitable for airliners, or are people being seduced by the ' light weight & strength' figures on the drawing board rather than real life ?

A material considered for advanced fighters just before carbon fibre was de rigeur is lithium alloy - this sounds a lot more sensible to work with 'in the field' to me, including for airliners, even if it's not quite as light as C.F, & it doesn't require huge autoclaves & coddling !

I would add that I am not in the aviation industry now, and am most certainly NOT talking Boeing V. Airbus or that nonsense.

I have sailed high performance sailing boats with carbon fibre rudders & hulls though, where I would guestimate the loadings are not that disimilar re. water at relatively very low speeds - even if they feel high - and air at high speeds - the results were not encouraging there either, and if I were skipper of an expensive racing boat, rather hoping to make the finish - especially on long distance races, I would very firmly decline a carbon rudder.

Any opinions welcome...( especially any agreeing with me, naturally )

DZ

Last edited by Double Zero; 6th Aug 2008 at 20:33.