PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Petition for a Military Hospital
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2008, 15:08
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re-heat,

As ukl has mentioned, among other issues, it depends on the need. Why do NATO countries such as, for example, the US, Canada, Germany and France still see a need and not ourselves?

I agree that our medical professionals' advice should be heeded, but I think you'll find that the present debate, very rightly emotional, is far from restricted to 'servicemen and officers on PPRuNe' (and some would query your apparent distinction between servicemen and officers).

Your point about 'when the military had far more personnel than it does now' doesn't hold water. With the Cold War at its height, sure the armed forces were far larger, but there was considerably more than the one military hospital to cater for that number. Now, we're 'simply' scaling things down: and in my humble view, and many thousands of others (eg the DS Petition), the fundamental 'need' remains unchanged. The UK (that's all of us, like it or not)is committed militarily in two areas (at present): look at the casualty rates, and then genuinely satisfy yourself that, domestically, we are coping with the sick, injuread and wounded in a proper manner.

Before I begin to be accused of being head-in-sand, I am not necessarily hard-over for a single military hospital at any cost, ignoring all practicalities. But I strongly believe that the present arrangements are letting our servicemen and servicewomen down badly, and that radically new measures should be put in place quickly, recognising above all else military need and military ethos; and as I said earlier, that word ethos is misunderstood by too many.

Yes it is now an emotive issue - and whose fault is that??

Last edited by jindabyne; 6th Aug 2008 at 15:20.