PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Exec Club muddled thinking
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2008, 12:41
Mr Quite Happy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your interest, here's something I penned off to BA earlier today... Its not a very good letter, it simply points out the effort I had to go to because their website didn't work as advertised. Feel free to discuss...

Dear Sirs,

I am a Blue member with enough tier points but not enough qualifying flights to get Silver. I live in Europe so my tier points threshold is a little lower.

In order to get Silver I decided to book a one-way flight with two connections (DELETED FROM PPRUNE VERSION) AMS-LCY-ZRH for 28AUG08.

I called your (excellent) NL BA EXEC CLUB help desk and asked whether this journey would count as two qualifying flights, thus delivering me Silver before my 'executive club year' runs out on 08SEP08. In addition this will allow me some lounge access for when I am taking my family on our Miami (WorldTraveller) holiday in October. Useful I anticipate.

Your NL help desk was able to point me to the ba.com's opening screen where I could choose "Economy" or "Lowest (earning Tier Points)" or "Flexible". I had originally chosen Economy (default) and the journey cost was EUR 196. So with this guidance I chose Lowest (eTP) and to my surprise got the same cost of 196 EUR!

Being a Six Sigma kinda chap, I smelled a fish. But I booked it anyway.

I then immediately rang your (very good) BA office in NL who confirmed it was a Q class booking and not valid for tier points or as qualifying flights (the only reason I was doing a multi-stop BA flight at all). He confirmed the Exec Club ladies statement that only Y, B or H class qualified for tier points or as qualifying flights. He was kind enough to void my booking at the H class was 4xx EUR, over twice as much.

So. All in all, quite a long story, but the sum is

(a) your website 'button' didn't (and probably still doesn't) work, and

(b) can I have either
(i) an extension on my membership year by two months or
(ii) can you give me a couple of qualifying flights or
(iii) can you force tier me to silver or
(iv) reimburse me for the hour its taken of my day to book, cancel and send this.

As you will probably know, he who attains silver will attempt to get Gold. Having been KLM Platinum Elite and Luftwaffe Senator YOU KNOW I'm gonna be good for it!

Thanks and I hope all is well,