PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pilots' jargon and slang
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2008, 09:46
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aero Slang

Hola Xolodenko - Privet
xxx
Zdrasvuitye... Ochen priyatnya - sorry - no Cyrillic alphabet here.
I see you have been giving and receiving a lot of slang words or acronyms...
xxx
Be aware that there are notorious differences between UK and Yank aviation slang.
I have lived 25 yrs in the USA, so my aviation English is from Yankistan.
xxs
With my airline in the US, sure, there was "George" for the autopilot...
But sometimes we also joked - saying -
"A German approach" - (for "coupled approach") using the "OTTOpilot"...
"A Mexican approach" - (for hand flown, manual) since MANUEL is common name in Mexico...
xxx
We used to remember QNH and QFE altimeter settings this way -
QNH was for Normal Humans (in the USA, standard procedure) -
QFE for "F*** Europeans" - landing with "0" on altimeter as you do in Russia -
xxx
Did you know that when we went to MOCKBA... if our traffic was a Ilyushyn IL-62, we would nickname them "Veecee-ten-ski", for their resemblance to the British VC-10... We would call the IL-76 "One-Forty-Oneskis" due to their resemblance to the Lockheed C-141... and the TU-134 was a Deecee-nine-ski, again due to their look. The TU-154 was a "Seven-twenty-seven-ski"...
I guess we could do same for the 757 with the TU-204...
Well, we did same for your cars, the LADA, we called it the "Fiatski"...
And a ZIL or Tshayka was a Lincolnski...
xxx
Before SLF was coined, we used to say "SOB" - not for souls-on-board - but son-of-a-bitch. I think SLF is nicer.
xxx
Hope that Trans-Aero is doing good with their old 747-200s... I am the pilot who delivered them to Domodedovo from their storage in the California desert in 2005... Nice bunch of pilots. I don't like vodka, but instead, we had a few "Baltikas" together in Moscow... I love Russian beer, hate Budweiser...
xxx
Tally-ho is indeed fighter pilot jargon for "target" (traffic) in sight...
No-joy, should you have missed (not seen) that target = miss the joy to shoot him down...
Douglas DC-8s were DC "late" as they were slower than the 707, or did not sell as good.
Also called the Santa Monica "cable cars" - due to profusion of cables to operate flight controls.
The little Learjet is called the "Fearjet" - as the old ones were sobering machines for some pilots...
The early Citations were known as "Slo-tations" - their cruise speed being slow...
We said that Citations need a weather radar in the tail - to prevent "bird strikes" from the rear...
The Mitsubishi MU-2 was the Rice-Rocket...
Here, we nickname all Embraer Jets, the "Samba Jets"...
Our presidential "air force one" plane in Argentina is a 757, "T-1" (Tango One) -
Quite appropriate that "T" is Tango = our national dance...
xxx
Dosvidanya -
Happy contrails