PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2008, 07:37
Dragon tracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair and KLM questions

KLM flights are impacted by their ongoing issues with F100 and F70 tech problems. CWL is not the only airport picking up cancellations. I heard BRS, LHR, TXL, FRA, BRU & MUC are also on the list.

Looking at Ryanair when they flew CWL - DUB and comparing to Aer Arann who now fly this route. Ryanair carried more pax but I heard they only operated up to 10 a week. Most weeks was 7 weekly with an late evening departure ex CWL.

Aer Arann operates most days of the week with 3 daily except weekends which are lower frequency. This is far better for business traffic which at the end of the day is what CWL tell us they are trying to get more of.

So was their management decision to hold out for a bit more yield from Ryanair the wrong decision. If I was in their shoes and felt that Ryanair would add extra routes, then possibly. But they tend to say one thing and do the other which leads to mistrust. ie: would this extra routes be added? With this in mind, I probably would also have opted for better frequency on the CWL - DUB at higher yields and looked for other airlines to do the other routes.

This would not generate huge volumes short term but would create better longer term patnerships with more airlines which has to be better for an airport, than an "all eggs in one basket" scenario. And this would be better for business traffic.