PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA requires memory item briefing prior to flight
Old 6th Aug 2008, 04:50
tuskegee airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not just a recital

chimbu warrior,
I disagree, this is not just some mindless parrot-like recital. It is a drill in response to a serious inflite failure and as such needs to be performed/rehearsed precisely.

Jw411,
I agree with the "......criminal negligence." part of your post but I would prefer to discover this negligence during a brief rather than in the middle of an emergency descent for example.

The guy seated next to me has demonstrated repeatedly through simulators, line checks etc that he can fly an approach to minimums. But I'm going to watch his every approach with a critical eye (as I expect him to do mine). Not because I dont trust him but because this is an important measure in enhancing airline safety.

I view briefing memory items this way.... I know what they are but how do I know what's in the other person's MEMORY unless he tells me!!!

Remember also that there are airlines where the first time you lay eyes on your other crewmember(s) might have been when you checked in for the flight.

STRAIGHTEN UP AN FLY RIGHT